Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Yellow Bird Day


It's such a beautiful day. The clouds occasionally drop a half dozen fat drops of water here and there, in between it's brilliant sunshine and soft, humid breezes. The air is filled with the fragrance of lilacs and a hundred other blossoming plants. I looked and where there were apricot blossoms a couple of weeks ago there are now bean-sized fuzzy green fruits, some still wearing petal collars.

I was outside washing some goo off the trailer, and heard a bright little song behind me in the "feeder" tree. I looked and there, only a few feet away, sat Mr. Goldfinch. He wasn't a bit shy, though he was a bit perturbed, as I hadn't yet filled the feeder tray, so I expect his song was actually a series of bird curses, complaints about the service. "Gimme dat seed!"

I went in, got a scoop of seed and filled the tray, and within a minute he was back. He didn't care that I was standing four feet from the feeder, and that I had a camera in hand. He was interested only in sunflower seeds, which he shells very adeptly with his beak and tongue.

I'd had the presence of mind to grab the camera while I got the seed, and thus have a series of yellow bird pictures to share. Oh but he is a beauty! What a cheeky Charlie he is. He couldn't help but put a bright spot in anyone's day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purdy birdy.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Maybe that is where we are going wrong, we havn't been using sunflower seeds, hence, no yellow birds on our feeder, I have seen them around, but not close enough to get pics.