Friday, April 03, 2015

Today I feel … rather well….


Gravity? No inconvenience at all!
Having just heard John Lithgow read the poem below to Bill Moyers I would love to link to the video but alas am prevented by Blogger's (aka Google) policy of not allowing you to embed any videos other than those on YouTube (also owned by Google). Profit is king apparently. I am deeply shocked, as I know you are. 

However I can share the poem itself which you must read aloud to yourself, and if your funny bone is not immediately thoroughly tickled dear reader then said funny bone is moribund  and needs to be taken to the doctor immediately for a medical tickling. How this tickle is achieved (whether by pharmacologic, surgical, or psychiatric means) I am not clear, but yours needs help. Obviously the accompanying picture has nothing at all to do with the post, but is of Hobbes and his Mama, clearly in a sort of euphoric cuddle.  He is a gravity-defying sort of cat. 

No Doctors Today, Thank You
~Ogden Nash
They tell me that euphoria is the feeling of feeling wonderful, well, today 
I feel euphorian,
Today I have the agility of a Greek god and the appetite of a Victorian.
Yes, today I may even go forth without my galoshes,
Today I am a swashbuckler, would anybody like me to buckle any swashes?
This is my euphorian day,
I will ring welkins* and before anybody answers 
I will run away.
I will tame me a caribou
And bedeck it with marabou.
I will pen me my memoirs.
Ah youth, youth! What euphorian days them was!
I wasn't much of a hand for the boudoirs,
I was generally to be found where the food was.
Does anybody want any flotsam?
I've gotsam.
Does anybody want any jetsam?
I can getsam.
I can play chopsticks on the Wurlitzer,
I can speak Portuguese like a Berlitzer.
I can don or doff my shoes without tying or untying the laces because 
I am wearing moccasins,
And I practically know the difference between serums and antitoccasins.
Kind people, don't think me purse-proud, don't set me down as vainglorious,
I'm just a little euphorious. 

*the heavens 

No comments: