Sunday, April 12, 2009

Backyard Revolution

Friday, April 3, 2009
Australia's Version of 60 Minutes featured this story recently.

Backyard Revolution

I found it interesting that they said, "If your great-grandmother wouldn't have recognized it as food, don't eat it." I suppose we could widen that to say the great-grandmothers of the world, since food choices were exceptionally (and unhealthily) limited in the days of my great-grandmothers.

We grow a much wider variety of food locally than even my grandmother would have recognized. My mother, born in 1904, said her mother wouldn't allow them to eat tomatoes, as they were widely believed to be poisonous in the early 1900's. Mother was 20 years old before she finally had a tomato after seeing other people eat them and come to no harm.

No comments: